Friday, May 2, 2008

Charmed, I'm sure!

Why does no one say that anymore? It used to be a common pleasantry. One would introduce themselves to you and you would reply "Charmed, I'm sure." There were other time it was used too....but I can't think of them right now. I must watch some more TCM and keep my ears out for other usage of the term. But in any case, you would add your own touch by exchanging the "Charmed" for any number of other words expressing delight, such as Delighted, Enchanted, or the most coquettish of them all, Likewise. Yes..."Likewise, I'm sure"! It can imply earnesty or sarcasm, disdain or affection. I can hear any number of MGM stars saying it right now!!!
(Remind me to post an entry on why the studio system should be reinstated.)

Oh, I just remebered, you can also use it as response to appreciation as in "The pleasure was mine, I'm sure!"
Isn't it a wonderful phrase!

Two very stylish ladies in two films in which, I'm sure, the phrase was used:

Joan Crawford as Mildred Pierce in Mildred Pierce

(get a load of that fur!!!!!!!)

Bette Davis as Margo Channing in All About Eve

No comments: