Friday, January 16, 2009

Reading

Believe it or not, I am not what I would consider an avid reader. Maybe others would disagree. I am an avid "skimmer". I like to go to the library and check out tons of books and keep them for as long as I can- sometimes months- and constantly skim through them and get bits of information at a time. Which is why I don't read much fiction, because you can't jump in the middle of a story, but a biography, or a book on any particular subject (art, fashion, travel, entertaining, decor, even history), can be gleaned from at will. I guess I like to treat all books like reference books in that way.

Now, if I get really engrossed or intrigued or inquisitive, I will not stop reading and complete the entire or most of the piece in one sitting, whatever the topic. Which is another reason why I shy away from fiction because if I get hooked within the first 30 pages or so, I'm likely to do nothing else until I have finished or physically can't read anymore, then I go back to it as soon as my eyes and head have recovered.

Also, I feel my interests are too diverse, yet inter-related or overlapping , that I don't like and sometimes can't spend too much time on one topic, because my mind links that topic to something else and then I'm on to that. I usually come back to the original topic, but in the moment I must follow the train of thought to its terminal.
I am currently, actually reading "The History of Haute Couture, 1850-1950" by Diana de Marly. Its a very informative, interesting, in depth look at the end of historic costume and the beginnings of modern fashion as we know it. (those good fashion design students know the delineation between the two!) It starts just before Charles Worth in the mid 19th Century and it continues on up to Dior's New Look. I am so happy to finally be actually reading this book. I have done the skim several times before, and got a lot of good info and facts that I have retained to this day, but I really wanted to get the full picture of what was going on. I have read so much about Haute Couture and the entire fashion industry from WWII/The New Look thru today, and am well-versed in what was going on where, when, with whom, and why, but the period preceding WWII has always been a little more sketchy. I know the major figures and their contributions and what the general culture and style was of the times, but I never had a good grasp on the entire setting and happenings of the industry. That is what I am finally getting. Anyone familiar with me or who has visited the "About" section on the Charles Lord website (www.CharlesLord.com) knows that I am a "coutureophile" and anything dealing with current or past couture fascinates me to no end.

I like to read books like this first thing in the morning, before I get out of bed. It stirs my imagination and my creativity and helps me envision the things I want for myself and Charles Lord. I know Charles Lord is going to be a major couture house like Worth, Lanvin, Chanel, and Dior and so I am just studying up to make that happen!

I am also reading/skimming various works by Flaubert, including "Madame Bovary", "White Boy Shuffle" by a wonderful humor writer Paul Beatty, a book on the history of corsets by Valerie Steele, "Gatherings" by Marina Rust, and various short stories my Harlem Renaissance authors.

Semper Chic!

No comments: